Hi everyone, and welcome to superflat world. This is primarily a game development blog for superflat games, although I’ll also be posting about other cool and interesting things in the world of games, music and life in general.
My name’s Jasper Byrne and I’m currently the sole member of the team, so art, code, music and design roles fall on me. This is what I look like in pixel form:
- I like fried food, especially fish.
- I like making stuff and languages (real and computer.)
- I lived in Manchester for about 8 years.
- I’m half Irish and half English.
- It was probably Jet Set Willy and Lords of Midnight that got me into games.
- I’ve lived in Vietnam, Japan, America, and England. I was born in London.
- For the last ten years I’ve been a drum’n’bass producer / DJ under the aliases Sonic, Sonic & Silver & The Accidental Heroes. Myspace page. I’ve been lucky enough to sell records and tour the world!
- Nowadays I’m mostly a game designer, but I still write music.
- I think games are the highest level of art being explored at the moment, but are still in their infancy. I feel like we’re on the cusp of something incredible, like the first tentative steps of silent movies into talkies. I hope I’m still a part of it when it happens.
- I began writing games on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum at the age of eight (1984, so you can work out my age…) and it’s been a life-long hobby of mine. I have worked in the industry as a designer on Xbox titles such as Kinectimals, but nowadays I’m full-time indie.
- Some of the independent games I’ve done are listed on Moby Games.
- Other than that, the site frontpage is the best place to start (although that’s also out of date!) The ones which are probably the most well-known are Lone Survivor, Soul Brother and Soundless Mountain II.
Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay in superflat world…
Peace + much love,