The Genesis of a Survival Horror
On my hard drive as ‘mygame.app’, for Mac OS Classic. The beginnings of a point’n’click adventure around the concept of dream-logic. Learning to code after 10 years out.
Began to develop the editor I use for Lone Survivor (at least, the point’n’click side of it.) At this time I was re-doing the art in 3D, and the game had a name: Amnesia. Which as you can guess was never released (although another one was!)
Made Soundless Mountain II for a one-month competition, using my ‘platform engine’, a separate framework. Getting much more interested in survival horror as a new direction for Amnesia. Or maybe a hybrid approach…
Began building Amnesia engine 2.0 – a hybrid of platformer and point’n’click engines, all powered by the scripting language. Initially in XNA, then I reverted to my original plan of using BlitzMax. Began to develop complex lighting treatments, a simpler implementation of which still exists in LS.
It initially looked like this…
And finally this…
The bedroom has been part of the plan since the start. I spent a lot of time getting it right, then ended up with something much plainer in the end.
But it was getting too ambitious. Each treatment more elaborate than the first. I abandoned Amnesia at that point, and to contain my disappointment, I decided to work on something that was small, silly, manageable*.
Thus was born LONE SURVIVOR.
It was to be one level, one weapon, one enemy, simple survival mechanics. Everything Amnesia wasn’t.
First three mockups I recently found, probably done on the first day of development.
I’ll share the development images in the next post hopefully.
*SPOILER It didn’t turn out small, silly or manageable. It turned into Amnesia, but at least I’ve finally made it now.